Approved by AICTE , Recognised by CUSAT , NAAC Accredited & ISO 9001:2008 Certified Institution
SE 307 MACHINE SHOP
Introduction to Lathe: Spindle drive - work holding devices - types of Lathe tools - tool
holders - tool movement - selection of speeds. Feed and depth of cut - use of cutting coolants
- Principle of thread cutting - V-thread and Square thread - thread standards - cutting tool
types - grinding of tools - selection of cutting speeds.
Introduction to machine tools like horizontal milling machines, vertical milling machines,
slotting and shaping machines, work holding devices- spindle drives- milling cutters - gear
milling - surface slot milling - indexing head - simple and differential indexing - grinding
wheel - specification and selection - drilling and reaming - capstan and turret lathes - ideas of
SE 308 FLUID MECHANICS AND MACHINERY LAB
Study of pipe fittings, and study of devices used for measurement of pressure, velocity, rate of flow, metacentric height and radius of gyration of floating bodies.
Experimental verification of Bernoulli’ s theorem.
Steady flow through pipes - determination of friction factor and Reynold’ s number.
Determination of the loss coefficients for pipe fittings.
Hydraulic coefficients of mouth pieces, nozzles and orifices.
Calibration of Venturimeters, orifice meters, nozzle and bend meters.
Force due to impact of jets on vanes.
Performance characteristics of centrifugal pumps at constant speed.
Constant head characteristics of Francis turbine.
Performance of hydraulic ram.
SE 407 STRENGTH OF MATERIALS LAB
Standard tension test on M.S rod using U.T.M and a suitable extensometer
Torsion test on M.S specimen
Double shear test on M.S rod
Impact Tests- Izod and Charpy
Hardness tests -Brinnel,Vickers and Rockwell hardness Test on springs
Tests on wood
(a) Flexural test (b) Compression test
Compressive strength of masonry units
(a) Bricks (b) Stone (c) hollow block units
Verification of Clerk Maxwell’s Law of reciprocal reflection and determination of Young’s Modulus.
SE 408 ELECTRICAL TECHNOLOGY LAB
1. Verification of Kirchoff's Laws
2. Verification of Superposition Theorem
3. Study of B.H. Curve on C.R.O
4. Measurement of power in an A.C. circuit by 3 ammeter and 3 voltmeter method
5. Load test on a d.c. series motor
6. Speed characteristics of d.c. shunt motor
7. Regulation of a Transformer
8. Load characteristics of a 3 phase induction motor
9. Study of protective relays and circuit breakers.
10. Study of insulation testing and ground testing.
SE 507 SAFETY ENGINEERING LAB
1. Study of PPE’s.
2. Assessment of the safety performance in an industry and preparation of report..
3. Accident investigation and Analysis - Exercises
4. Job safety analysis - Exercises
5. Safety survey of a laboratory.
6. Safety audit of a laboratory.
7. Calculation of cost of accidents.
8. Preparation of work permits.
9. Safety assessment in a construction site.
10. Design and development of a training module on any topic of safety.
11. Preparation of a P & I diagram using AutoCad.
12. Preparation of the layout of a chemical plant using AutoCad.
SE 607 ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT LAB
1.Determination of pH, turbidity, total hardness, total solids and dissolved oxygen of water samples.
2.Determination of BOD and COD of waste water samples.
3.Jar test for determining the optimum coagulant dose for water treatment.
4.Determination of kinetic constants of activated sludge process.
5.Determination of sulphur dioxide, oxides of nitrogen and particulate matter from chimney sources.
6.Determination of particulate matter, chlorine, ammonia, carbon monoxide and sulphur dioxide in ambient air.
7.Analysis of lead and other heavy metals in air using spectroscopy.
8.Study of pollution prevention and control facilities in industries.
9. Preparation of Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for an industrial project.
10. Preparation of an Environment Audit Report.
SE 706 FIRE ENGINEERING LAB
1. Determination of flash Point, fire point and pour point of hydrocarbons.
2. Tests on Dry Chemical Powder
a. Apparent Density Test
b. Hygroscopicity Test
c. Caking Test
d. Water Repellency Test
e. Heat Test
f. Efficient Fluidity Test
g. Fire Knocking Down Property Test
h. Foam Compatibility Test
3. Performance Tests on Portable DCP Fire Extinguishers (Catridge Type )
4. Performance Tests on Portable and Trolley mounted Fire Extinguishers CO2 Type.
5. Tests on Foam
a. pH value
b. Sludge content
c. Specific Gravity
e. Freezing Point
f. Film Formation Test
g. 25% Drainage Time
h. Burn- back Resistance
i. Fire Extinguishing Property
6.Test of non-combustibility of Building Materials.
7. Study of fire fighting equipments and accessories.
SE 707 INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE LAB
1 Demonstration and calibration of Air sampling equipment
2 Sampling and estimation of gases in work environment by calorimetric method
3 Sampling and estimation of solvent vapours in work environment
4 Sampling and estimation of dust-gravimetirc method
5 Noise level measurement - Sound level meter, Octave filter set
a) Measurement of sound pressure level in db A and db linear
b) Frequency analysis of noise
6 Measurement of illumination level
7 Study of lungs models
8 Study of occupational diseases with photographic models
9 Demonstration of medical laboratory equipments
10 Thermal stress analysis.