Association & Activities
Departmental Association (ARISTA)
As a part of our duty and social commitment, we the upcoming safety aspirants wanted to bring a change in their perspective and system around us. We become aware that our goal only be achieve by a combined effort of all the students in the department. That was the beginning of ‘ARISTA’ which in Greek means ‘Being Safe’. Safety and Fire engineering is a multidisciplinary department which has a significant role in all fields like mechanical, civil and construction, electrical and electronics, petrochemical and petroleum industries.The association also organizes guest talks, training sessions for faculty and students of TIST and also in association with Fire and Rescue department perform mock drills.
17th HSE Forum Meeting
17 th HSE forum meeting was hosted by Department of Safety and Fire Engineering at Toc H Institute of Science and Technology on 30 March 2019.
National conference “Recent Advancements in Industrial Safety Engineering – RAISE 2k19”
The Department of Safety and Fire Engineering hosted a national conference “Recent Advancements in Industrial Safety Engineering – RAISE 2k19” on 28th and 29th of March 2019 in association with National Safety Council (Kerala chapter) and Department of Factories and Boilers, Government of Kerala.
The conference was a meeting place of scholars, industry-experts and academicians.
Prof. Dr. Kirti Bhushan Mishra (IIT Rourkee) was the chief guest for the conference.
Prof. Dr. V R Renjith (SOE,CUSAT) and Dr. V M Ramesh, Senior Manager (F&S, BPCL Kochi Refinery) delivered the key note addresses
Workshops on KAIZEN, 5S & Total Quality Management.
Workshop on KAIZEN, 5S & Total Quality Management was organised by department of safety and fire engineering in association with PRIME Certification and Inspection India Pvt. Ltd. on February 14 and 15 2019.
In the ever evolving world, where every leading industry has oriented towards quality and sustainability, PRIME Certification and Inspection India Pvt. Ltd., in association with our college took an initiative to train and inculcate the knowledge of KAIZEN 5S and Total Quality Management to students from various streams and colleges of the state. Ninety seven students, including two faculties, attended the workshop, and they found it to be very useful and applicable to their respective fields. From the feedback of a faculty who had attended,
“The Workshop was a great success and I appreciate the commendable efforts made by the Co ordinators ! The talk though brief, covered all the basic aspects of KAIZEN, 5S, ISO 9000:2018 standards ! Overall, it was a delightful experience”.
Seminar on First Aid and CPR training
Department conducted one day training class on First Aid & CPR on 12/10/18. Mr.Simon Jacob, First Aid Faculty & Trainer and member of National safety council, led the class. Live demonstration on how to give CPR and first aid on emergency situations was given to semester 5 students.
National Safety day 2018
National Safety day 2018 was celebrated in TIST by hoisting the flag by Sri. P. R. Balan, Station Officer, Piravom Fire station, and talking the safety oath by Asst. Prof. B. Ummer. Sri.P.R.Balan also delivered a key note address in the programme which was presided by Dr. Preethi Thekkath, Principal, Dr. R. Ravindran Nair, Dean(Academics), Shri. Thomas A. Vetteth, HOD(Safety and Fire Engineering ) and Shri. Stephy James,,Asst Professor
As a continuation of the celebrations, the students of Safety & Fire Engineering Department in associate with Kerala Fire & Rescue Services (Piravom) conducted Safety awareness campaign at Maneed grama panchayath. The programme was conducted to build a safety culture in public. Session covering kitchen safety, general safety, first aid including CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) were handled by the students and the officers from Fire & Rescue department. The program was attended by the general public and officials of Maneed Panchayath. Fighting of LPG fire and rescue operation were also demonstrated. Student coordinators Unni N V, Abimalek Sandosh, Akhil G Byshy, Ajay Sivan, Aswin Sai P .S., along with Asst. Prof. Stephy James coordinated the activities.
- Class on how to use of Fire Extinguisher during emergency for the faculty staff and students of various departments.
- Video of Mock Safety Drill conducted by Piravom Fire and Rescue Station.
Departmental Association activities of the year 2016-2017
- Best project award was given to 2012 admission students
- Inauguration of departmental association for the academic year was carried out on 1st September 2016 and was inaugurated by Mr. P. Pramod, Director, Directorate of Factories & Boilers.
- Technical Talk on “Safety in Industry & Beyond” by Mr. Ramesh V M Manager BPCL Kochi on 26th July 2016
- A demo session was conducted for faculty on use of fire extinguishers under emergency situations on 19th December 2016
- Road safety programme was conducted together by Safety Dept, Yi, NSS Civil dept, IEDC on 3rd February 2017
- Safety day celebrated by flag hoisting and taking safety oath on our campus on 4th March 2017
- As a part of activities towards social commitment the following were organized:Cancer Ward Visit at EKM General Hospital and contribute Rs. 22055 and clothes for the inmates by 3rd year students on 14th July 2016
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki Remembrance Day 6 August 2016
- Two Convex Mirrors was installed in the Nadakkavu Highway as part of road safety awareness
Departmental Association activities of the year 2014-2015
- Association Inauguration was held on 25th July 2014, a technical talk regarding “Modern safety measures in Industries” was delivered by Mr.Saleen A, Manager, Fire & Safety, Cochin Shipyard.
- Fire Training was conducted by Fire Brigade Piravom on 15th Oct 2014 along with Fire Engine & Complete equipments.
- Safety Day celebrations was inaugurated by Dr. Abraham Varghese, Chief Medical Officer, Binani Zinc Ltd. on 4th March 2015.
- As a part of Road safety awareness programme our students conducted a Bike Rally.